[Samba] Samba Time Synchronisation wikipage

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jun 11 14:46:51 UTC 2018

On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 13:04:34 +0200
Marco Gaiarin via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Mandi! Rowland Penny via samba
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>
> > https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Time_Synchronisation
>
> > If you spot any errors or omissions, or if you think that something
> > could be said better, please report back ;-)
>
> I think one thing is missing: DHCP.
>

> You could also assign NTP servers via DHCP, and it is not clear if
> they are prevalent, are added, are ignored when in a DC environment...
>
> It is a right thing to do to set a ''default'' NTP (as suggested,
> time.microsoft.com) or better use the provided DHCP one?
>

> Thanks.

Yes, DHCP can supply time server ipaddresses, but they only seem to
affect Unix machines, unless I have missed something.

You can use whatever time server you like, just make sure that all your
computers etc are using the same time. The example, you refer to, comes
right at the end of the page and is meant to be used on things that
wander about and might be away from the Domain for sometime.

Rowland