[Samba] Samba Time Synchronisation wikipage

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Jun 10 08:35:22 UTC 2018

On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 10:29:43 +0300
Alexei Rozenvaser <alexei.roz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Question according to ntpsigndsocket directive at chrony.config:
> Is it mandatory from standpoint of Samba to use
> /usr/local/samba/var/lib/ntp_signd/ path for ntpsigndsocket?
> Or it possible to use the chrony's default
> path /var/lib/samba/ntp_signd ?

The wiki is written from the view point of a self compiled Samba
without setting a prefix. This means that by default, everything ends
up in /usr/local/samba. Your distro, amongst other things, set the
prefix and hence things will be in different places.
If you you run 'samba -b' on a self compiled version of Samba, you
will get this:

   BINDIR: /usr/local/samba/bin
   SBINDIR: /usr/local/samba/sbin
   CONFIGFILE: /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf
   NCALRPCDIR: /usr/local/samba/var/run/ncalrpc
   LOGFILEBASE: /usr/local/samba/var
   LMHOSTSFILE: /usr/local/samba/etc/lmhosts
   DATADIR: /usr/local/samba/share
   MODULESDIR: /usr/local/samba/lib
   LOCKDIR: /usr/local/samba/var/lock
   STATEDIR: /usr/local/samba/var/locks
   CACHEDIR: /usr/local/samba/var/cache
   PIDDIR: /usr/local/samba/var/run
   PRIVATE_DIR: /usr/local/samba/private
   CODEPAGEDIR: /usr/local/samba/share/codepages
   SETUPDIR: /usr/local/samba/share/setup
   WINBINDD_SOCKET_DIR: /usr/local/samba/var/run/winbindd
   WINBINDD_PRIVILEGED_SOCKET_DIR: /usr/local/samba/var/lib/winbindd_privileged
   NTP_SIGND_SOCKET_DIR: /usr/local/samba/var/lib/ntp_signd

Whilst on a typical distro package (Devuan):

   BINDIR: /usr/bin
   SBINDIR: /usr/sbin
   CONFIGFILE: /etc/samba/smb.conf
   NCALRPCDIR: /var/run/samba/ncalrpc
   LOGFILEBASE: /var/log/samba
   LMHOSTSFILE: /etc/samba/lmhosts
   DATADIR: /usr/share
   MODULESDIR: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/samba
   LOCKDIR: /var/run/samba
   STATEDIR: /var/lib/samba
   CACHEDIR: /var/cache/samba
   PIDDIR: /var/run/samba
   PRIVATE_DIR: /var/lib/samba/private
   CODEPAGEDIR: /usr/share/samba/codepages
   SETUPDIR: /usr/share/samba/setup
   WINBINDD_SOCKET_DIR: /var/run/samba/winbindd
   NTP_SIGND_SOCKET_DIR: /var/lib/samba/ntp_signd

So in answer to your question, yes you can (and should) use
'/var/lib/samba/ntp_signd'

>I noticed that on my Ubuntu
> 18.04 /usr/local/samba/var/lib/ntp_signd/ directory disappears after
> the machine reboot.

There is a reason for that and it is one of the reasons why I use
Devuan.

Rowland