[Samba] Samba 4 wiki update

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jun 8 16:03:36 UTC 2018

On Fri, 8 Jun 2018 15:46:30 +0000
Max Keogh <mpgk at marinesoftware.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Rowland,
>
> I'm on Ubuntu 16.04.04.
> Originally I was using the latest version of Samba from the Ubuntu
> repositories but realised that this was old (version 4.3 ish). I
> downloaded the latest version from samba.org and compiled and
> intalled as per the instructions.
>
> As a test, I have just removed the extra entries in the hosts files
> on each DC and rebooted. The replication once again is failing from
> DC2 to DC1 but is OK the other way round.
>
> It all seems to be working fine with the hosts files referring to
> each of the DCs so for now I will stick with this.
>
> If you do think there is an issue then please tell me what info I
> need to provide and we can look at fixing it.

If you read the release notes for 4.7.0, you will find this:

Improvements to DNS during Active Directory domain join

The 'samba-tool' domain join command will now add the A and GUID DNS
records (on both the local and remote servers) during a join if
possible via RPC. This should allow replication to proceed more
smoothly post-join.

The mname element of the SOA record will now also be dynamically
generated to point to the local read-write server. 'samba_dnsupdate'
should now be more reliable as it will now find the appropriate name
server even when resolv.conf points to a forwarder.

This means, you shouldn't have to add anything manually, the join and
the first running of 'samba_dnsupdate' should do it for you.

Please do not reply direct to me or the the Samba Team, reply to the
Samba mailing list (I have CC'ed the Samba list)

Rowland