[Samba] Domain Member Computer not showing in ADUC

Henry Jensen hjensen at mailbox.org
Thu Jun 7 18:58:47 UTC 2018

Am Thu, 07 Jun 2018 11:36:57 -0400
schrieb Mark Foley via samba <samba at lists.samba.org>:

> So, I guess I'll upgrade to a more current version of Samba and see
> if that helps. The version I'm using is the most recent available for
> my Slackware distribution. The next version in the pending Slackware
> release is 4.8.2. I may try that first. Actually, I may try your
> package as it is targeted to Slackware. I am using Ivandi's PAM on
> the Linux domain members.

This is one point where I don't understand Patrick Volkerding's
decision. He updates every major server package for years, and when
a version comes to End-of-Life he jumps to the next version. But not so
with samba.

Im my test environmnt I run Slackware with Samba 4.8.2  as one of two
DC's (without FSMO roles, they are on the Debian based DC) and it works.
However, this is only a test environment. I haven't decided yet, if I
will base the production DC's on Debian with Louis's or Tranquil's
packages or base them on Slackware with self-built packages. Maybe I
will keep a mix of both, in case something wents wrong. Although I
heard, that mixing Distros as DC's is a bad idea.

> When the workstation tried to connect I get the Event Log error:
>
> 'General' error: "The processing of Group Policy Failed. Windows
> could not apply the registry-based policy settings for the Group
> Policy object
> LDAP;//CN=Machine,cn={B78D19CB-914B-48F4-AA63-FD8708A55ED7},cn=policies,cn=system,DC=hprs,DC=local.
> Group Policy settings will not be resolved until this event is
> resolved. View the event details for more information on the file
> name and path that caused the failure."
>
> Event details says, "Access is denied".  However, the Domain
> Administrator *is* able to get its redirected desktop regardless of
> which workstation it logs into.  If anyone has any insight into this,
> please reply.  Meanwhile, I'll update Samba.

I would check the permissions of the sysvol folder as seen from a
Windows Workstation. Additionally
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thctlo/samba4/master/samba-check-set-sysvol.sh
might be helpful.

Kind egards,