[Samba] samba behavior change with version upgrade

David H. Durgee dhdurgee at verizon.net
Thu Jun 7 18:24:57 UTC 2018

Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 14:57:34 +0100
> Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 14:51:11 +0100
>> Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

>>> I am trying to do two things at once, re-writing the time server
>>> wikipage and reading (and shortening) the smb.conf files I was sent,
>>> give me a few minutes and I will post them with a comment.
>>>
>>> Rowland
>>>
>> OK, here are thr two smb.conf files without commented lines and
>> obvious default lines.
>>
>> This is what the OP should have posted:
>>
>> MAYA:
>>
>> [global]
>>     workgroup = AGI-NET
>>     server string = %h server (Samba, LinuxMint)
>>     dns proxy = no
>>     log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>>     max log size = 2048
>>     log level = 0
>>     syslog = 0
>>     panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
>>     obey pam restrictions = yes
>>     unix password sync = yes
>>     passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>>     passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
>> *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
>> pam password change = yes map to guest = bad user
>>     client lanman auth = yes
>>     client ntlmv2 auth = no
>>     lanman auth = yes
>>     usershare allow guests = yes
>>
>> [printers]
>>     comment = All Printers
>>     browseable = no
>>     path = /var/spool/samba
>>     printable = yes
>>     guest ok = no
>>     read only = yes
>>     create mask = 0700
>>
>> [print$]
>>     comment = Printer Drivers
>>     path = /var/lib/samba/printers
>>     browseable = yes
>>     read only = yes
>>     guest ok = no
>>
>> [testing]
>> 	comment = Samba test shared directory
>> 	read only = no
>> 	locking = no
>> 	path = /var/tmp
>>      guest ok = yes
>>
>> SYLVIA:
>>
>> [global]
>>     workgroup = AGI-NET
>> 	server string = %h server (Samba, LinuxMint)
>>     dns proxy = no
>>     log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>>     max log size = 2048
>>    log level = 0
>>     syslog = 0
>>     panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
>>     server role = standalone server
>>     obey pam restrictions = yes
>>     unix password sync = yes
>>     passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>>     passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
>> *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
>> pam password change = yes map to guest = bad user
>>     client lanman auth = yes
>>     client ntlmv2 auth = no
>>     lanman auth = yes
> [...]

I'm not sure of that.  My LAN has two OS/2 systems on it and I mount
network shares from them.  Neither of them use network shared resources
from my linux system, but my linux system must be able to mount those
network shares.  To the best of my knowledge lanman auth is a
requirement for accessing OS/2 shares.  Perhaps given that the sharing
is all from linux to OS/2 one of those can be changed.

Are these entries of any consequence for another linux mint sylvia
system performing gvfs-mount via gigolo of the testing share? Likewise
they are in both smb.conf files, so why would 4.3.11-Ubuntu have
problems with them that 3.6.25 doesn't?

Dave