[Samba] Recurrent DNS issues after DC loss

Ole Traupe ole.traupe at tu-berlin.de
Thu Jun 7 11:44:44 UTC 2018

On 06.06.2018 17:52, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 16:55:40 +0200
> Ole Traupe via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>

>> On 06.06.2018 16:48, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
>>> It doesn't say that any more ;-)
>>>
>>> This is from my DCs
>>>
>>> root at dc4:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
>>> search samdom.example.com
>>> nameserver 192.168.0.6
>>> root at dc4:~# hostname -i
>>> 192.168.0.6
>>>
>>> root at dc3:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
>>> search samdom.example.com
>>> nameserver 192.168.0.7
>>> root at dc3:~# hostname -i
>>> 192.168.0.7
>>>
>>> And everything works!
>>>
>> I see, so even in a multi-DC environment, there is only one
>> nameserver entry, and it points to the local host.
>>

> Well it does on my DCs, but I suppose you could add a second (or third)
> DC as nameserver, but if there is something wrong with DNS on the DC,
> there is very probably something else wrong and Samba will have fallen
> over.
>
> Rowland

That is exactly what I think. Which is why I think it is dangerous and
also pointless to point to the mutual other DC first. If a DC works, it
is fine for it to point to itself. If it doesn't, there is no need to
point to somewhere else. If the _other_ DC fails, it is problematic to
primarily point to this one.

Ole