[Samba] chrony configuration for secondary samba DC

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jun 7 10:15:40 UTC 2018

On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 10:12:23 +0100
Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 11:56:16 +0300
> Alexei Rozenvaser <alexei.roz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > DC that doesn't holding PDC emulator FSMO role should sync it's time
> > with DC that holdings such role. Right?
> > But I can understand how it works in case of samba DC without PDC
> > emulator FSMO role and with NTP server configured according to
> > https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Time_Synchronisation#Set_up_the_ntpd.conf_File_on_a_DC
> > . Doesn't it create conflict between samba potential to sync time
> > with other PDC emulator DC and NTP sever that syncs with some
> > external NTP pool?
>
> To be honest, I have never given this much thought, I normally just
> set the DCs up identically and then get DHCP to send both DCs as time
> servers to Unix machines.
>
> I have a draft chrony wikipage, but I need to understand more about
> windows and time servers (I use Unix more than I use windows) before
> adding it.
>
> Rowland

OK, after a bit of research, it seems it is quite simple, I like
simple ;-)

     internet time server
               ^

       PDC Emulator DC
   Other DC <----Workstation

To put the above into words, the DC with the PDC Emulator role uses an
external NTP server as its source. All other DCs use the PDC Emulator
DC as their time server. All other workstations, servers etc, can use
any DC as their time server.

Rowland