[Samba] chrony configuration for secondary samba DC

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jun 7 09:12:23 UTC 2018

On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 11:56:16 +0300
Alexei Rozenvaser <alexei.roz at gmail.com> wrote:

> DC that doesn't holding PDC emulator FSMO role should sync it's time
> with DC that holdings such role. Right?
> But I can understand how it works in case of samba DC without PDC
> emulator FSMO role and with NTP server configured according to
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Time_Synchronisation#Set_up_the_ntpd.conf_File_on_a_DC
> . Doesn't it create conflict between samba potential to sync time with
> other PDC emulator DC and NTP sever that syncs with some external NTP
> pool?

To be honest, I have never given this much thought, I normally just set
the DCs up identically and then get DHCP to send both DCs as time
servers to Unix machines.

I have a draft chrony wikipage, but I need to understand more about
windows and time servers (I use Unix more than I use windows) before
adding it.

Rowland