[Samba] Why am I getting login failures for domain members?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jun 7 07:03:56 UTC 2018

On Thu, 07 Jun 2018 00:43:47 -0400
Mark Foley via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Perhaps this is all normal and as expected. Still, why is windbindd
> requesting a password for the computer itself (CCARTER$)? What is
> this password? I've certainly never set a computer password (that I
> know of) and it is certainly not the login user's password.
>
> If this is all "normal", fine, I won't worry about it. But, I'm
> curious as to what this is about if you or anyone knows, or could
> direct me to more detail on the web.

Even computers have passwords in AD and no, you don't set it, it is set
for you and is replaced every month.

If you run this on a DC:

ldbsearch -H /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb -b
dc=samdom,dc=example,dc=com -s sub
'(&(objectclass=computer)(name=devstation))' unicodepwd

You can see the encoded password.

Just replace the data with your data.

Rowland