[Samba] samba behavior change with version upgrade

David H. Durgee dhdurgee at verizon.net
Wed Jun 6 17:26:29 UTC 2018

I have two linux mint systems on my network and use samba to share data
between them.  I am in the process of upgrading one of them from linux
mint maya to linux mint sylvia, which also upgrades smbd from 3.6.25 to
4.3.11-Ubuntu and encountering behavior differences. I suspect I need to
tweak my newer smb.conf file to correct this problem.

The system I am in process of upgrading offers a single share of a
directory, which the other system accesses via a gvfs-mount configured
by gigolo.  I use this directory in both directions for file transfer
with no issues when the system is running maya.  Once I boot sylvia I
have problems.

A summary of the situation:

1) maya booted (smbd 3.6.25)

A file added to the share from the other system appears in the shared
directory with ownership as "dhdurgee/dhdurgee" and can be moved out of
the shared directory elsewhere.

A file added to the shared directory can be accessed via the share from
the other system also appears with ownership as "dhdurgee/dhdurgee" and
can be moved elsewhere out of the share.

2) sylvia booted (smbd 4.3.11-Ubuntu)

A file added to the share from the other system appears in the shared
directory with ownership as "nobody/nogroup" and cannot be moved out of
the shared directory elsewhere.  Errors are "file is read only, delete
anyway?" "operation not permitted"

A file added to the shared directory can be accessed via the share from
the other system with ownership as "dhdurgee/dhdurgee" but cannot be
moved out of the shared directory elsewhere.  Error is "Access Denied"

Has anyone seen this behavior before?  Can anyone suggest what needs to
be changed or added to the 4.3.11 smb.conf to correct the problem?

Dave