[Samba] Recurrent DNS issues after DC loss

Ole Traupe ole.traupe at tu-berlin.de
Wed Jun 6 15:02:24 UTC 2018

On 06.06.2018 16:02, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

>> I seem to remember having read here on the list, that it is no good
>> idea to mix samba versions in a domain. If there is sound advice to
>> do it anyways, I would be up for trying it. However, as I have
>> written above, I messed up the uid/gid ranges. To my understanding,
>> later versions of Samba (like 4.5) _require_ the ranges to comply to
>> the defaults as denoted by the wiki.
> There is nothing to stop you using different versions on DCs and you
> can do the same with Unix domain members, unless you are using the 'ad'
> backend  and are NOT using Domain Users as the users Unix primary group.
> It is however, best practise to use the same major version, just to get
> similar capabilities on all machines.

So in theory, if I hadn't messed up my id map ranges (domain groups
start with 2000), and if I hadn't begun removing stuff manually, and if
I wouldn't use Domain Users as primary group, I could have joined an
up-to-date DC and used the new script for demoting the dead one.

I am not trying to sound sarcastic. I am trying to understand, and see
whether perhaps there is still hope for such a maneuver.

Ole