[Samba] future of non-AD samba?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jun 6 11:27:02 UTC 2018

On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 12:52:46 +0200
Klaus Hartnegg via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Am 06.06.2018 um 12:41 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:
> > I think that 'standalone' machines will continue
>
> Thank you very much for clarification. This means that SMB1 and PDC
> are the problems, not lack of AD.
>
> But if we later need to switch to AD, is there a method like
> classicupgrade to do it? Currently classicupgrade of a standalone
> server Samba 3 creates a standalone server Samba 4, not an AD-DC. It
> appears to be enough to add a few lines to the old smb.conf to make
> classicupgrade do it, but I'm not certain.
>
> Klaus

I have never carried out (or even thought of carrying out) a
classicupgrade on a standalone server. I can see multiple problems with
trying this out, you would first have to migrate the PDC and this would
use the SID from the PDC, you would also migrate the users & groups,
along with their ID numbers. When you migrate the standalone server,
you would get a different SID and ID numbers.

I think you would have to dump the users & groups (along with their
ID numbers) from the standalone server, then migrate the smb.conf to a
Unix domain member one. At this point all the files would (probably)
belong to numbers and you would have to chown the numbers to the
relevant user/group.

Unless somebody has already done this and has a better idea ???

Rowland