[Samba] Recurrent DNS issues after DC loss

lingpanda101 lingpanda101 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 18:39:48 UTC 2018

On 6/5/2018 2:11 PM, Ole Traupe via samba wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have a domain in production on two sites (subnets, via "Sites and
> Services") with originally two DCs. One went down due to HDD (-> old
> hardware) error. Now, occasionally, clients cant access/find the file
> server (domain member). This does not occur on all clients at the same
> time, however, so I am rather sure it is not the file server itself,
> but a DNS problem.
>
> I couldn't find anything diagnostic in the logs. Default log level was
> not informative, I think, while log level 10 I just could not
> handle/analyze properly.
>
> Can someone recommend a log level? Should I look on the DC or on the
> file server?
>
> Do I have to remove the offline DC completely from DNS and Sites and
> Services for this mess to stop?
>
> I appreciate any advice.
>
> Cheers,
> Ole

Ole,

     If you haven't already removed the dead DC from your network you
should do that first.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Demoting_a_Samba_AD_DC

Your clients DNS may still be pointing to the offline DC causing look up
delays. Also did you have your DC's pointing to themselves for DNS or
each other?