[Samba] chrony configuration for secondary samba DC

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jun 4 12:52:34 UTC 2018

On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 10:48:17 +0200
Andreas Schneider <asn at samba.org> wrote:

> On Sunday, 3 June 2018 16:32:12 CEST Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> > On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 17:11:47 +0300
> >
> > Alexei Rozenvaser <alexei.roz at gmail.com> wrote:

> > It might be Ubuntu's default time server, but it will not work on a
> > Samba DC, you must use ntp.
> > Try running 'sudo samba -b | grep 'SIGND', what are the first three
> > letters in the output ?
>
> Rowland, chrony should work fine with Samba as support for ntp_signed
> has been added with version 3.1. I've worked with the chrony
> developer implementing it.

Yes it does seem to work on a Samba AD DC, but (as seems to be normal)
the documentation is abysmal (i.e. it was written by a developer, who
knows how it works, rather than a user who is trying to find out how
it works).

In ntp.conf you set a line like this:

restrict default kod nomodify notrap nopeer mssntp

I cannot find anything that tells me what chrony replaces 'restrict'
with. Is it needed ? is there something that replaces it, or can you
safely ignore it?

Until all the questions are answered and all the kinks are ironed out,
Samba shouldn't support chrony in the way it does ntp

Rowland