[Samba] Louis; re:your repo and Ubuntu 18.04

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jul 31 19:17:15 UTC 2018

Debian has its own version of LTS: https://wiki.debian.org/LTS
>I'm
> glad to be schooled in that regard, if someone has arguments to make.
> But I generally want to install a VM/Server/Box for a client and
> leave it alone as much as possible for as long as possible, and while
> it still works as initially designed. Less drama for me (less income
> perhaps too) and I can leave it sit, knowing that security patches
> are going to get applied and I don't need to do much, other than to
> watch that it stays healthy.

Also know as 'sit and let it bit-rot' ;-)

> So, how do you all handle the Debian, IIRC, two year cycle? Do Debian
> upgrades go off pretty smoothly, so you have a 99% chance of moving
> from, say, jessie to stretch without any hassles other than mostly
> "apt-get distro upgrade" or whatever it is?

Can only speak for myself, but dist-upgrade has always worked for me,
okay there might be minor glitches, but never anything major.

Having said that, it might be slightly easier to install a new OS and
the latest version of Samba, especially if it is a DC.

> Some of that angst gets less potent as more stuff moves to VM's etc.
> But even then, it's not a totally trivial concern either.

For a DC it is trivial ;-) and not much harder for a Unix domain member.

> ---
> But given what you say about this release just happening to work on
> 18.04 - makes me think we should absolutely not rely on any future
> version functioning on 18.04. Correct? We might get lucky or not.

From my understanding, Louis creates the Samba debs for his use and
then kindly makes them available for others to use. I think he also has
some Ubuntu clients, so the Ubuntu debs should also be available for
sometime, but I cannot promise this and I don't think Louis can either.
He might find that he no longer has any Ubuntu machines. Nobody can
foretell the future, but, from my understanding, Louis plans to provide
the debs for the foreseeable future.

> And if we don't get lucky, and we need a security patch - well we'll
> have to upend our install to go to debian or something...
>
> Does that summarize things reasonably well?

Yes

Rowland