[Samba] Louis; re:your repo and Ubuntu 18.04

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Tue Jul 31 16:48:37 UTC 2018

Top posting:

So, I do want the five years of LTS in 18.04. {I think - see below.]

A substantial reason I'm not using debian/devuan is LTS support. I'm glad to be schooled in that regard, if someone has arguments to make. But I generally want to install a VM/Server/Box for a client and leave it alone as much as possible for as long as possible, and while it still works as initially designed. Less drama for me (less income perhaps too) and I can leave it sit, knowing that security patches are going to get applied and I don't need to do much, other than to watch that it stays healthy.

So, how do you all handle the Debian, IIRC, two year cycle? Do Debian upgrades go off pretty smoothly, so you have a 99% chance of moving from, say, jessie to stretch without any hassles other than mostly "apt-get distro upgrade" or whatever it is?

Some of that angst gets less potent as more stuff moves to VM's etc. But even then, it's not a totally trivial concern either.

---
But given what you say about this release just happening to work on 18.04 - makes me think we should absolutely not rely on any future version functioning on 18.04. Correct? We might get lucky or not.

And if we don't get lucky, and we need a security patch - well we'll have to upend our install to go to debian or something...

Does that summarize things reasonably well?

TIA
Louis, et al.

LPHvBvs> Hi Gregory,

LPHvBvs> Yes, correct, i lots track of that, due to some family matters.
LPHvBvs> But the guide line is in the list.
LPHvBvs> 1) https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2018-May/215429.html
LPHvBvs> 2) small fix :
LPHvBvs> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2018-May/215430.html
LPHvBvs> 3) small fix :
LPHvBvs> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2018-May/215436.html

>> Also - while I know it's all just best intentions etc - is
>> this something you intend to do for a while?
LPHvBvs> Yes, but debian wil be the first.

LPHvBvs> If you use the package on Ubuntu, try to keep you server as clean as possible.
LPHvBvs> The packages work fine, but you install to much, you might get depend problems
LPHvBvs> due to the packages needed for samba, like tevent ldb tdb etc..
LPHvBvs> I did not back track all other packages with dependecies to
LPHvBvs> the one samba uses for ubuntu.

>> [I'd be glad to toss some $$$ your way to help, if that's
>> helpful. I'd toss some bucks to SerNet - but while the costs
>> aren't massive, they do charge quite a lot for small shops,
>> when you add the Sernet fees over, say, five years - for a
>> few servers.]

LPHvBvs> Always helpfull. I have a paypal address, i'll have to look
LPHvBvs> that up, i dont use that much.
LPHvBvs> Crypto is also ok for me, just tell what and i'll send an
LPHvBvs> adres, the addresses will be on my site once launched.

>> Recap:
>> 1) Is this something you intend to do for a while?
LPHvBvs> Yes.

>> 2) Do you have a link to your Ubuntu FAQ for using your repo?
LPHvBvs> I'll go make that in a few days, probely next week, depends
LPHvBvs> on the about of work im having here.