[Samba] The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jul 31 11:14:39 UTC 2018

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 13:03:34 +0200
shacky via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have two Primary Domain Controllers running on two installations of
> Samba Version 4.6.7-Ubuntu on Ubuntu Xenial 64 bit.
>
> For a few days I am receiving the following error on some computers
> which are joined into Active Directory:

What do you mean 'two Primary Domain Controllers' ?
Do you mean, 'I provisioned a DC and then joined another DC to this',
or did you actually provision two DC's in the same domain ?

Also, please do not refer to them as 'Primary Domain Controllers', a
'PDC' is something else entirely.

> *The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary
> domain failed*
>
> I googled for a solution to the problem but I found many solutions for
> domain managed by Windows Server but not by Samba.
>
> I have this problem only on some computer and not on all computers at
> the moment.
> I also tried to re-join the failed computers to the domain. The
> problem was immediately solved but after some hours or days it
> happened again.
>
> I also realized a quite strange behaviour when I add a new user on
> one of the Domain Controllers using CLI or the RSAT tool: the new
> user takes many minutes (10/20) to be propagated to the other Domain
> Controller. Is it normal? Could this be related to my main problem?

No, it is not normal and could be a symptom of your problem.

Rowland