[Samba] Winbind Craziness

ray klassen julius_ahenobarbus at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 30 16:17:15 UTC 2018

 oops that was wbinfo -tP

    On Monday, 30 July 2018, 09:15:44 GMT-7, ray klassen <julius_ahenobarbus at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

thanks for your response.
Obviously lmhosts is not part of the equation anymore.
But I copied/pasted from something that worked to something that didn't( I thought of clarifying this in a following email but didn't)
If there is no /etc/lmhosts I'm sure nothing will suffer for having that parameter.
DNS has been examined and re-examined.
All the tests described in the wiki have been performed and results are exactly what is expected.
Still trying to shoot this down. It's elusive. I have windows clients who connect to shares and are presented with a username password dialogue. Tentatively, it appears that simply running winbind -tP solves the problem for them. So as a test I have an hourly cron job that runs that on the server.

    On Saturday, 28 July 2018, 01:29:06 GMT-7, Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

 On Fri, 27 Jul 2018 21:25:04 +0000 (UTC)
ray klassen via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

>  so I had some time to follow this bunny trailand found that even
> though all the other servers had no problems this one continued
> to.Every so often a new computer couldn't connect and then it would
> be all better after a net leave/net join. Net join would not work
> without -S <MyDC> in the command lineWhat I found out was that most
> net rpc commands such as net rpc testjoin would also fail without -S
> <MyDC> in the command linewhereas they would work find for any other
> box. I also noticed that a tdbtool dump of secrets.tdb was pretty
> nearly empty whereas other servers had lots of info.The difference
> was in the smb.conf line "name resolve order"
>
> earlier I had taken the advice (the more fool me, I guess) of the man
> page with recommends
>
> "name resolve order = wins bcast" in a AD environment.
> when I changed it back to
>
> "name resolve order = lmhosts wins host bcast"

I think you should look at your dns ;-)

I doubt whether you have a lmhosts file on the Samba server, so if you
remove that, the line becomes 'wins host bcast' and the only
difference between that and what you had, is 'host'.

Rowland