[Samba] Volume Activation with Samba AD

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jul 24 17:33:46 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-07-24 at 19:15 +0200, Christian Naumer wrote:
> Am 24.07.2018 um 18:34 schrieb Thomas Glanzmann:
> > Hello Christian,
> >
> > > what I meant is not acting as a KMS server but something new Microsoft
> > > introduced. In windows 10 the tool vor managing Volume Licences asks if
> > > you have a KMS server or if you want to use AD for activating the
> > > software. I haven't tried it yet as I would need to setup a test
> > > environment.
> > > So I asked here to see if somebody tried it before. I can test this with
> > > samba but I don't have a Windows AD so can not help there.
> >
> > from my understanding is. You have a KMS server on the network. You set
> > a DNS record. Than Windows tries to connect to the KMS server and
> > activates itself. If you miss that DNS record, you can do it manually:
> >
> > Here is an example request:
> >
> > 18:13:08.769942 IP 10.101.226.235.56381 > 10.101.0.1.53: 54581+ SRV?  _VLMCS._TCP.gmvl.de. (37)
> >
> > Here is how you do it manually:
> >
> > slmgr -skms <kmsserver>
> > slmgr -ato
>
> We have a KMS running and it is working fine. However, we don't want to
> replace this server when 2008R2 is dropped from support. So we are
> looking for alternatives that do not require Windows servers
>
> I mean this here:
>
> https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askpfeplat/2013/02/04/active-directory-based-activation-vs-key-management-services/
>
> So there is a Schema update needed for it to work. I thought this might
> be possible with samba.

That seems unlikely, we won't have whatever is in that Volume
Activation Services Role software.  Even if that is just a client to AD
(and it just puts enough stuff in AD to operate without any DRM?), you
would need that around to set it up.

But I guess it is worth a try, perhaps after the adprep patches are
done (started at the end of last year) land which get the domain and
forest prep stuff done, or if you adprep the Samba domain yourself.

It will be an interesting ride...

Andrew Bartlett