[Samba] Samba and CNAME

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Jul 24 08:56:37 UTC 2018

You can remember this.

If you join a server, that make sure that that servers "hostname" gets an A and PTR record.
The PTR is most important. Now if you creat a CNAME now, through PTR it knows its "original" hostname
And kerberos works, this is how i do all my setups.

As example.

REALM : INTERNAL.EXAMPLE.COM
FQDN : test-dc1.internal.example.com
Hostname: test-dc1
SPN HOST/TEST-DC1
SPN HOST/test-dc1.internal.example.com

A 	test-dc1
PTR	192.168.1.1
ZONE 	internal.example.com

What works.
ZONE internal.example.com
CNAME	ntp1 => test-dc1
CNAME ntp2 => test-dc2

CNAME PDC  => test-dc1  ! NOTE, NOT PDC from Primary Domain Controller in NT4.0 domains, Just primary ( the one with FSMO )
CNAME BDC1  => test-dc2  ! NOTE, NOT BDC from BACKUP Domain Controller in NT4.0 domains, Just an extra DC
CNAME BDC2  => test-dc2  ! NOTE, NOT BDC from BACKUP Domain Controller in NT4.0 domains, Just an extra DC
CNAME BDC3  => test-dc2  ! NOTE, NOT BDC from BACKUP Domain Controller in NT4.0 domains, Just an extra DC
Yes i know, a bit of a bad example, but this is very clear.

Other example.
Zone example.com
CNAME www.example.com => www.internal.example.com

ZONE internal.example.com
CNAME www.internal.example.com test-dc1.internal.example.com

And yes, you kerberos auth still works.

And you dont need to add extra SPN's for aliases that is if you DNS setup is correct.
Just remember, every server must have an A and PTR record, save you a lot of problems.
And best is to point your CNAME to FQDN.

I hope these example helps a bit.

Greetz,

Louis