[Samba] ntp_signd/socket multiple samba dcs on a single box

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jul 24 07:39:49 UTC 2018

On Sat, 2018-07-21 at 22:19 +0200, Thomas Glanzmann via samba wrote:
> Hello,
> I have multiple samba DC for different domains running on a single box.
> I read a little bit up on time synchronisation and now configured it. It
> seems to work. My question is, what happens when multiple DCs go to the
> same ntp_signd/socket, will it work? Or should I configure one socket
> per DC instance?

I would use distinct containers or VMs for this, as otherwise you also
can't use nss_winbindd for each domain.  However if you must, then you
would have to set up multiple ntpd instances bound to each IP and
pointing to the correct Samba.

Finally, in general I suggest avoiding 'neat hacks' because while it is
amazing to create a special snowfake, it is also delicate and more
likely to get broken by some upstream change that never expected your
environment.

You are saved a little by the fact that Samba's selftest system does
essentially this (but uses nss_wrapper to get around the one
nsswitch.conf issue).

Andrew Bartlett