[Samba] Samba 4.8.3 out of memory error

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jul 24 02:59:53 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-07-17 at 12:09 +0100, William Ross via samba wrote:
> Our domain controllers have run samba 4.4.3 since it was released. We
> didn't upgrade because it was so stable :)
> I recently decided that release was too old and upgraded to 4.8.2
> (then current). Our domain controllers were crashing on 4.8.2 so I
> upgraded to 4.8.3 as soon as it was released but this has not resolved
> the issue.

A change in Samba 4.7 made the LDAP server multi-process.  However if
you have a lot of LDAP clients, this can consume a lot of memory.

Samba 4.8 introduced the prefork process modal, which can be enabled
with samba -M prefork

This however changes the netlogon server back into a single process
(for $reasons), so it is a trade-off, however one that many sites
running with restricted memory would be happy to take.

Give it a go.

Andrew Bartlett