[Samba] Failed to establish your Kerberos Ticket cache due time differences with the domain controller

Roy Eastwood spindles7 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 20:28:15 UTC 2018

Thanks Louis.   Results below.

> Hai,
>
> I've reading this thread more closely.
>
> I suggest you try the followoing.
>
> Check the servers hardware clock in the bios first.
> Set these within 5 min, if they are not about the same.

There no RTC in the pi;  the other DC is running in a VM with RTC set to UTC.   I have disabled the guest from getting the time from the host OS.

> Run :  dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
> Check/set the correct timezones on both servers, and both servers should show
> you the same date/time and (optional) zone.

Done, both show the TZ to be correct ie Europe/London and local and UTC times are correct and identical on both DCs.

> Run : ntpq -p
> Check the offset on both servers.
Don't have ntpq (part of ntp package?) but ran chronyc sources with the following results:

root at pi-dc:~# chronyc sources
210 Number of sources = 3
MS Name/IP address         Stratum Poll Reach LastRx Last sample
^+ www.bhay.org                  2   6   377    42  -2411us[-2629us] +/-   14ms
^* 85.199.214.100                1   6   377    41   +673us[ +455us] +/- 6491us
^+ 213.246.159.21                1   6   377    42   +340us[ +123us] +/-   16ms

root at debian-vb:~# chronyc sources
210 Number of sources = 3
MS Name/IP address         Stratum Poll Reach LastRx Last sample
^* 85.199.214.102                1   6   377    42   -357us[ -354us] +/- 7721us
^+ server1.quickdrivingtest>     1   6   377    41   -617us[ -617us] +/- 6199us
^+ time.netweaver.uk             2   6   377    41   +323us[ +323us] +/-   12ms

Both DCs are configured to use the same servers (0.uk.pool.ntp.org, 1.uk.pool.ntp.org and 2.uk.pool.ntp.org)

> Add :  winbind refresh tickets = yes to you smb.conf

Done.

> If these are member servers, make sure you have only the server lines pointed
> to you AD DC's.
> If these are DC's, them make sure the both point to the same ntp servers.

yes, see above

> Dont use pool servers for the AD DC's, but thats my advice.

OK, will try Stratum1 and see what happens, but for now here are the results so far.

> Reboot the servers, first DC with FSMO, if there are DC's involved.
> This wil clear kerberos cache tickets and should make sure the time is really set
> ok.
>
> Login again, do have still have the time message, if yes..

No change, message still there.   Even with the other DC switched off (the one with FSMO roles).

> Check :
> /etc/pam.d/common-auth
> You should see a line like :
> auth    [success=1 default=ignore]      pam_winbind.so krb5_auth
> krb5_ccache_type=FILE cached_login try_first_pass
>
> Change that one to
> auth    [success=1 default=ignore]      pam_winbind.so krb5_auth try_first_pass
> Try again, put it back again after a successull login without messages.

Done, that but still get the warning even with the shorter version.    Never able to logon without the warning, so put it back anyway.
The only way I have found not to get the message is to remove the krb5_auth (and the other ones) completely.   But then we are not using Kerberos.

> When this is done.
> Now go clear the kerberos cache.
> Run : klist -ef
> Check the ETYPES and Flags.

As roy (after logging in and getting the message:
Failed to establish your Kerberos Ticket cache due time differences
with the domain controller.  Please verify the system time.
MICROLYNX\roy at pi-dc:~ $ klist -ef
klist: No credentials cache found (filename: /tmp/krb5cc_3000022)

So generate a ticket:
MICROLYNX\roy at pi-dc:~ $ kinit roy
Password for roy at MICROLYNX.ORG:
MICROLYNX\roy at pi-dc:~ $ klist -ef
Ticket cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_3000022
Default principal: roy at MICROLYNX.ORG

23/07/18 21:25:51  24/07/18 07:25:51  krbtgt/MICROLYNX.ORG at MICROLYNX.ORG
        renew until 24/07/18 21:25:48, Flags: RIA
        Etype (skey, tkt): aes256-cts-hmac-sha1-96, aes256-cts-hmac-sha1-96

> Now mail us back with the results.
> Above should determine if its and old kerberos cache problem or ntp problem.
>

> Greetz,
>
> Louis

Cheers,

Roy