[Samba] sysvolreset error '{Operation Failed} The requested operation was unsuccessful.'

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jul 23 15:27:10 UTC 2018

On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 17:17:07 +0200
"Ing. Claudio Nicora" <claudio.nicora at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've added a "print" in file
> "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/ntacls.py" just before the
> line raising the error to log the (missing) file causing the error.
> I've found I had an orphaned GPO: it was shown in RSAT but didn't
> have any file in sysvol folder on both DCs.
> Just removed it from AD (it was only a test GPO) and the error
> disappeared.
>
> I've posted my smb.conf in a reply to Louis Van Belle, hope you can
> see what's causing the lot of "idmap range not specified for domain
> '*'" lines.

That's easy, it is a bug introduced at 4.6.0 (I think that was the
version). You cannot do anything to stop them on a DC. People were
not setting 'idmap config' correctly, so the error message was added.
The only problem is, you cannot use the 'idmap config' lines on a DC,
so you get the error message every time smb.conf is checked.

Rowland