[Samba] Logging-in takes 1 hour when changing computers

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jul 23 10:20:12 UTC 2018

On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 10:51:29 +0100
Piers Kittel via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 18/07/2018 14:43, Rowland Penny wrote:
> > Go on, spoil us by actually giving us some information, such as what
> > distro is the DC running on ?, what is in smb.conf, what are your
> > clients running etc etc.
> >
> > Rowland
> >
> Hello Rowland, Gaiseric, LPH & Miguel,
>
> Thanks for all of your replies!
>
> Not having much time at the moment, but to answer some questions...
>
> The server is running Debian 9, our clients all are running Windows
> 10 Professional - there's 4 desktops altogether.  Two desktops are a
> couple of years old but very poor, they're slow (my advice was
> ignored when they were ordered), the other two are a year old but of
> a much better specification (this time they listened to me), but the
> issue is the same on all computers.  All are connected via gigabit
> Ethernet.  At moment, the server is a *very* low-end Toshiba laptop
> started as a trial, but we've now got a PowerEdge R230 that we
> haven't commissioned yet (due to a different issue I'm currently
> trying to resolve).  Here's the smb.conf below (note, the printer
> drivers bit don't work, I've left it for now).
>
> Many thanks for your time again!
>
> With kind regards - Piers
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>          netbios name = AD
>          realm = XXX.INTRANET
>          workgroup = XXX
>          dns forwarder = 192.168.0.1
>          server role = active directory domain controller
>          rpc_server:spoolss = external
>          rpc_daemon:spoolssd = fork
>          printing = CUPS
>          spoolss: architecture = Windows x64

Firstly, I would add:

idmap_ldb:use rfc2307  = yes

Remove the printing lines (just for testing) and replace them with
these:

        load printers = no
        printing = bsd
        printcap name = /dev/null
        disable spoolss = yes

Doing this will rule out the printing element.

> [netlogon]
>          path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/xxx.intranet/scripts
>          read only = No
>
> [sysvol]
>          path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
>          read only = No
>
> [Profiles]
>          path = /home/samba/Profiles
>          read only = no
>          veto files = /*sync*/

Have you read this wikipage:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Roaming_Windows_User_Profiles

> [users]
>          path = /home/samba/users
>          read only = no
>
> [printers]
>          path = /var/spool/samba
>          printable = yes
>
> [print$]
>          path = /srv/samba/printer_drivers/
>          read only = no

I would remove the above two shares until you are sure the profiles are
working correctly.
I would also suggest you check the size of the profiles, don't forget
everything is copied backwards and forwards on login and logout, I
would also check that the profiles are the correct version.

Rowland