[Samba] Failed to establish your Kerberos Ticket cache due time differences with the domain controller

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Jul 21 13:50:19 UTC 2018

On Sat, 21 Jul 2018 14:13:45 +0100
Roy Eastwood via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jul 2018 12:16:42 +0100
> > Rowland Penny via samba<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, 21 Jul 2018 11:24:47 +0100
> > Roy Eastwood via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >
> > > "Failed to establish your Kerberos Ticket cache due time
> > > differences with the domain controller.  Please verify the system
> > > time."
> >
> > It looks like there is something wrong with your time settings, even
> > though you don't think there is. Do your DC's point to themselves as
> > the dns server or each other ?
>
> The DC's point to themselves in /etc/resolv.conf  (in order that
> samba_dnsupdate works ok).
> ie
> debian-vb (ip address 192.168.2.6) /etc/resolv,conf:
> =======
> search microilynx.org
> nameserver 192.168.2.6
> nameserver 192.168.2.4
>

> pi-dc (ip address 129.168.2.4)
> =========
> search microilynx.org
> nameserver 192.168.2.4
> nameserver 192.168.2.6
>
> > > Can I ignore this warning or does it point to something wrong
> > > with the installation?
> >
> > You have a problem, you should not ignore it. I would peer very
> > closely at the rpi, mainly because it doesn't have an RTC.
> >
> > It may help if you posted the main conf files from both DC's
> >
> > Rowland
> >
> OK, global section of smb.conf files:
>
> From debian-vb:
> =============
> # Global parameters
> [global]
> 	netbios name = DEBIAN-VB
> 	realm = MICROLYNX.ORG
> 	server role = active directory domain controller
> 	server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc,
> drepl, winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
> 	workgroup = MICROLYNX
> 	idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes

Remove the following lines, they shouldn't be in a DC
From here:
> 	wins support = no
> 	local master = yes
> 	domain master = yes
> 	preferred master = yes
To here.

> # prevent CUPS errors in syslog
> 	printcap name = /dev/null
> 	load printers = no
> # add the following two lines for testing - remove for production
> 	winbind enum users = yes
> 	winbind enum groups = yes
> 	template shell = /bin/bash
> 	template homedir = /home/%D/%U
> 	log file = /var/log/samba/log.samba
> 	log level = 1
>
> From pi-dc:
> =========
> # Global parameters
> [global]
> 	netbios name = PI-DC
> 	realm = MICROLYNX.ORG
> 	server role = active directory domain controller
> 	server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc,
> drepl, winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
> 	workgroup = MICROLYNX

As above, remove these lines
From here:
> 	wins support = no
> 	local master = no
> 	domain master = yes
> 	preferred master = no
To here.

> # prevent CUPS errors in syslog
> 	printcap name = /dev/null
> 	load printers = no
>
> # add the following two lines for testing - remove for production
> 	winbind enum users = yes
> 	winbind enum groups = yes
>
> # allow AD users to log on
> 	template shell = /bin/bash
> 	template homedir = /home/%D/%U
>
> 	log file = /var/log/samba/samba.log
> 	log level = 1
>
> /etc/chrony/chrony.conf:  is as per the Samba WiKi (with ip address
> changed as appropriate and servers:0.uk.pool.ntp.org etc)

Well that must be right, I wrote it ;-)

> /etc/krb5/conf:
> ===========
> [libdefaults]
> 	default_realm = MICROLYNX.ORG
> 	dns_lookup_realm = false
> 	dns_lookup_kdc = true
>
> I realised that the pi has no RTC, but I have now found that there's
> a service running called: fake-hwclock which I assume can be removed
> or disabled now that chrony is setting the clock?   There's also a
> systemd-timesyncd service, which is enabled - I assume that should
> also be disabled?

If you have chrony (or ntp) running, then you don't need another time
server (I take it 'systemd-timesyncd' is a time server, wouldn't know,
I do not use systemd)

Rowland