[Samba] cache_traverse_validate_fn: unknown cache entry

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jul 20 13:10:58 UTC 2018

On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 14:09:14 +0200
"L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tested the following.
>
> stop winbind
> rm /var/lib/samba/winbindd_cache.*
> start winbind
>
> And the error is gone.

Well it would be, the cache is empty and the user would be obtained
from AD and then stored in the cache.

> I did notice the following, before and while having the log message.
> running : net cache list | grep username
> That shows the user.
>
> Now after stoping , remove the cache.tdb files and starting i tested
> it again.
> net cache list | grep username
> ! This did NOT show the user, but ...
>
> net cache list | grep USERNAME
> Does show the user.

Now this is interesting, when I examine the output of 'net cache list',
I do not see any usernames or groupnames, just SID's etc

> wbinfo -u  && wbinfo -g
> net cache list | grep username
> And it shows the user again, no errors any more in the logs.
>
> I cant explain why you ( and i ) see a message :
> cache_traverse_validate_fn: unknown cache entry

I can, it is what the code is setup to do if the user isn't found.

> i dont thinks it was
> an corruption in the cache tdb database, because this exist on all my
> member servers. imo, it is a bug some, that might have been fixed
> already. I did check in bugzilla, but I did not find any related, as
> far i can tell.
> https://bugzilla.samba.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=__all__&content=cache_traverse_validate_fn&no_redirect=1&order=Importance&product=&query_format=specific

If you can confirm that it didn't happen on 4.8.2, but does on 4.8.3,
then there must be a bug.

Rowland