[Samba] Continued Group Policy issues

Anantha Raghava raghav at exzatechconsulting.com
Fri Jul 20 09:52:31 UTC 2018

Hi,
> On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 06:52:06 +0530
> Anantha Raghava via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,

>>> Good, but why the delay ?
>> This is being investigated. Is it something to do with cache,
>> wondering whether running "net cache flush" will help to get over
>> this behavior.
> Possibly, but I thought that the cache should be consulted first and if
> the user isn't found, then via winbind, ask AD. Just a thought, is nscd
> or similar running ?
Just to clarify, nscd or similar daemons are not running in our
environment. We use CentOS 7.5 minimal installation.
Coming to using only "net cache flush", we will test it in our
environment and report back here.

>>> 'idmap.ldb' never replicates automatically, it must be done
>>> manually.
>> We will include this in our replication script.
>>> How is 'sysvol' being replicated, this again is a manual procedure
>>> on Samba AD DC's
>> Yes, it is being synchronised using rsync. Basically, we are using
>> "inotify" to watch for changes (add, modify & delete) in "sysvol" and
>> push the changes to all other DCs. I will share our replication
>> scripts here shortly.
> I have been working on something similar, everytime I think I am
> getting close, I think of another enhancement ;-)
Find the sample script below. We add other DCs as needed to the same
script. To include, "net cache flush", we will have to modify this
script that runs on first DC or (DC1 or PDC ;-)

#!/bin/sh
DIR="/usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/test.com/Policies/"
inotifywait -m -r -e moved_to -e modify -e delete -e create "$DIR" |
while read f
do
     echo $f
     if [[ $f = *.* ]]; then
{
export PATH=/usr/local/samba/bin:/usr/local/samba/sbin:$PATH
samba-tool ntacl sysvolreset &> /dev/null
sleep 5
rsync -XAavz --delete-after /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/
dc1:/usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol

  }
  fi
done

> Surely, if it works without the policies, but doesn't with them, then
> these could be the problem and deserve a good look at ?

>>> No, but it might help if you post more info on your setup.
>> What info you need? Find below the smb.conf. It is same on all Domain
>> Controllers.
>>
>> # Global parameters
>> [global]
>>           netbios name = PDC
>>           realm = ****.COM
>>           server role = active directory domain controller
>>           server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc,
>> drepl, winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
>>           workgroup = ****
>>           idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>>           ldap server require strong auth = No
>> # Logs and events
>>           eventlog list = Security
>>           log level = 3
>>           log file = /var/log/samba/dc1.%T.log
>>           max log size = 1000000
>>
>> [netlogon]
>>       path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/****.com/scripts
>>       read only = No
>>
>> [sysvol]
>>        path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol
>>        read only = No
> The only thing wrong with that smb.conf is the netbios name, I take it
> you didn't get the memo ;-)
>
> There is no such thing as a PDC in AD, all DC's are equal, it is just
> that some of them hold FSMO roles.
>
> Rowland
I understand, there is no such thing as PDC. Server is just named that
way as it handles PDC Emulator role. :-)

Thanks & regards,
Anantha Raghava