[Samba] Windows 10 won't join Samba 3 domain

Konstantin Boyandin lists at boyandin.info
Fri Jul 20 01:22:56 UTC 2018

Rowland Penny via samba wrote 2018-07-19 20:47:
> On 19 Jul 2018 09:21:46 -0400
> Konstantin Boyandin via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Thanks to everyone who responded.
>>
>> On 19.07.2018 17:55, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

>> > The most helpful advice I can give you is, start planning to
>> > upgrade to active directory NOW. Microsoft seems to be making it
>> > almost impossible to join Windows 10 to an NT4-style domain, there
>> > have been several similar posts about this recently.
>>
>> Do you mean switching to Samba 4, or moving entirely to Windows AD
>> domain?
>>
>> I would prefer to stay with Samba as long as possible (if possible).
>
> You can do both, upgrade to a Samba Active Directory domain, before it
> is too late.

Looks like this transition is nigh, as we absolutely need our zoo of
Windows versions joined to a domain.

My question actually was, does Samba 4 ("Samba Active Directory") in its
current state emulate AD good enough, to allow staying with
Linux-powered AD DC. For almost 10 years we were quite happy with our
Samba 3 domain, it worked nicely and gave us almost no serious trouble.

Also, has the mentioned Microsoft change in Windows 10 (the one that
explicitly prevents it from joining NT4 domains) officially been
published anywhere in Microsoft docs?

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Konstantin