[Samba] Another peculiar behaviour, this time with BIND 9 DNS with DLZ

Anantha Raghava raghav at exzatechconsulting.com
Fri Jul 20 00:57:01 UTC 2018

Hi,

String of peculiar behavior continues...

Samba Version 4.7.5, Bind Version 9.8

No. of Samba-AD-DC Servers : 4 (dc1, dc2, dc3 & dc4). All FSMO roles are
on dc1.

All the while all things were perfect. Yesterday, due to some reason,
the BIND Service on dc2 stopped. This resulted in none of the other
domain controllers could resolve the names. On dc2, only named service
was stopped but samba-ad-dc was running.

When we cleared the errors and restarted named service and samba-ad-dc
service on dc2, name resolution started working on dc2 and also on all
other domain controllers. None of the records, zones are lost. To test
again, we stopped the named & samba-ad-dc service on dc2, and name
resolution stopped on dc1, dc3 & dc4 as well. We start the named service
on dc2, name resolution on all other servers start.

Is this normal? We understand that in case one domain controller stops
for some reason, all services should work properly from other servers.

How do we troubleshoot & resolve this?

--

Thanks & Regards,

Anantha Raghava