[Samba] Samba AD with internal DNS on IPv4/IPv6 but only announcing IPv4 address

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jul 19 13:54:45 UTC 2018

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 15:26:28 +0200
Thomas Glanzmann via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello,
> I use Samba AD in Version 4.8.3 and would like to run it on IPv4 und
> IPv6 in order to be able to have Samba acting as IPv6 DNS Server.
> However since I have problem with sysprep domain join as soon as Samba
> advertises its own Domain Controller Hostname as IPv4 and IPv6
> address, I would like to tell Samba to run on both protocols but only
> resolve to an IPv4 address. So in short:
>
> When I delete the IPv6 address of the samba domain controller, samba
> puts the the IPv6 address back after 10 minutes or so. Is there a way
> to tell samba, to only put its IPv4 address but continue to listen
> both on ipv4 and ipv6 for DNS and other services?
>
> Cheers,
>         Thomas

Not sure about the second, but I can help with the first ;-)

Find a file called 'dns_update_list' on Samba DC, open it in your
favourite editor, then find this line:

AAAA  ${HOSTNAME}                       $IP

Comment it out and close and save the file. This will stop Samba
putting the ipv6 address back.

Rowland