[Samba] Cannot contact any KDC for requested realm

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jul 19 08:03:53 UTC 2018

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 23:21:41 +0200
Anton Blau via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Am 18.07.2018 um 14:17 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:
> > On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 13:49:39 +0200
> > Anton Blau via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hmm, your REALM is 'SMBDOMAIN.FILE.DUCK' but your dnsdomain appears
> > to be just 'duck'
> >
> > Rowland
> >
> I read https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Active_Directory_Naming_FAQ -
> but I am not sure that my configuration is right.
>
> I run a private network that can only be accessed from the internet
> via dyndns (Webserver in dmz). Samba should be only accessed from the
> local network.
>
> So I gave my local (private) Network the top-level-domain "duck". My
> clients are named
>
> firstpc.duck
>
> secondpc.duck

> The computer on which samba runs has the computer name "file.duck".
>

> What name is correct for the configuration by: samba-tool domain
> provision
>
> Realm: smbdomain.file.duck
>
> Domain: smbdomain
>
> ???
>
> Could you explain me?
>

> Thank you!
>

> Tony

It is touched on here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_an_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller#Parameter_Explanation

It is quite simple, the realm is the DNS domain name in uppercase, so
in your case, the DNS domain appears to be 'duck', so the realm must be
'DUCK'

You don't appear to have provisioned with the realm 'DUCK', so it will
probably be easier to re-provision.

Rowland