[Samba] Samba4 AD cannot see machines in windows browser

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jul 18 21:00:05 UTC 2018

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 13:43:34 -0700
Alberto Moreno via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi  Rowland.
>
> Them to understand, we have different paths depend on how we would
> like to register our windows machines to our DNS.
>
> 1; By DHCP

I use this:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_DHCP_to_update_DNS_records_with_BIND9

But most of my clients are Unix.

> 2; Manually with samba-tool

You would only really use this for fixed ip clients

> 3; Let windows handle this, here is my doubt how can our
> clients(windows boxes) do this?

Normally, the problem is stopping the Windows clients from trying to
update their own records, or to put it another way, this is the windows
default way.

> Exist a recommendation by samba team?

Don't think so, just do what is best for you.

Rowland