[Samba] Logging-in takes 1 hour when changing computers

Miguel Medalha medalist at sapo.pt
Wed Jul 18 20:25:36 UTC 2018

> Go on, spoil us by actually giving us some information, such as what
> distro is the DC running on ?, what is in smb.conf, what are your
> clients running etc etc.

The exact same thing just happened to me today, after joining a new
workstation to our domain. When a new user logged in to the computer for
the first time, the profile creation phase went on a disk trashing
rampage for a VERY LONG time, until the user gave up and finally pressed
the power button. After reboot, however, he was able to log in very
quickly and the user's environment had indeed been created and Group
Policies properly applied.

The workstation is running Windows 10. The domain is served by two DCs,
both running Samba 4.8.3, one of them over CentOS 6.9 and the other over
CentOS 7.4. The Kerberos used is the Heimdal one.