[Samba] Need advice on upgrading from 4.3.11 to 4.8.3

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Jul 15 20:53:00 UTC 2018

On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 23:27:13 +0300
Taner Tas via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We have a Samba AD DC service running on Ubuntu 16.0.4 with Samba
> 4.3.11. We are planning to upgrade it to a recent version, probably
> 4.8.3.
>
> I think that I have two options:
>
> a) Package upgrade via 3rd party repositories (Louis Van Belle's repo)
> by following wiki.
>
> b) A fresh install of 4.8.3 on another VM then join it to 4.3.11 as
> backup DC, then transfer all FSMO roles on new and finally demote
> older one.
>
> Since this a production environment, I have to accomplish this task
> transparently. Is there anyone out there who did same task before?
> I'll appreciate any advice regarding this.
>
> Thanks.

I would go with option 'b', but it sounds like you only have one DC, I
would also create a second DC. I would also ensure they were on
different hardware, whether they are in VM's or not.

Also, you should get out of calling DC's anything other than just a DC,
all DC's are equal except for the FSMO roles and they can be on any DC.

Rowland