[Samba] A few questions and propostions on the samba architecture

Anton Engelhardt engelhardt.anton at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 22:21:06 UTC 2018

It's not possible to do safe domain-wide atomic updates, now.

I'll make a few generic assuptions, as I'm unfortunatly not that deep
into the actual implementation. "What would Microsoft do" is a good
question, afaik they bypassed that problem by prepending a unique server
prefix in front of the generated part of the SID.

Assuming there is a primary DC and a backup DC, a "ldap create object
class user with uidNumber = NULL" gets executed:

 1. on the primary dc. Primary DC is samba and aware of its PDC
    position. Does an transaction updating the msSFU30MaxGidNumber,
    assigning it to the user.
 2. on the backup dc. BDC does nothing but replicate to the PDC. PDC
    picks up replicated "create user transaction", does its joba as in 1
 3. on the backup dc. Primary DC is Microsoft. Nothing happens, as this
    is a samba only feature ;-)

There always is a scenario of a netsplit, leaving both DCs in a PDC
position, at least I assume that, as this is always a possibility. I
think the key with this concept is to restrict those "atomic updates" to
the active pdc. Having two active PDCs at any given time is very bad afaik.

Furthermore it could be possible to create a samba only hirarchy of PDC
and BDC, therefor there would be something like a SAMBA-PDC and
SAMBA-BDC state, which is independant of the PDC BDC state itself. To
avoid issue in point 3 a BDC running samba, which has the "primary among
samba", would be the one to do the atomic transaction and then replicate
the changes.