[Samba] Distro and release recommended

vincent at cojot.name vincent at cojot.name
Fri Jul 13 14:08:44 UTC 2018

Not exactly Debian-related but I thought I'd add my 2c for completeness..

I've been running builds of samba4 (4.7.x) on RHEL7.5 VMs for my own use
for some time now. As far as packages go, here's what I have gathered:

1) The first repo I had used was http://wing-net.ddo.jp/wing.
They used to provide signed rpms and src.rpm's as well.
Their repo has been down (Don't know for how long) or rather stuck in a
re-direction loop for a few days.

2) The second repo I used was Tranquil's IT repo ([1] and [2]). Their rpms
work fine and it appears that they have a community of users and are
offering commercial suport for Samba4 as an AD DC.

I am -however- trying to get away from their rpms because:
- They aren't even signed.
- Their rpm build releases are often weeks behind samba's releases.
- They aren't very open about src.rpms/jenkins receipies to empower their
users (vendor lock-in?)

Any comments welcomed,

Regards,

Vincent