[Samba] A few questions and propostions on the samba architecture

Anton Engelhardt engelhardt.anton at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 09:14:02 UTC 2018

That explains why there is so little information on ldb and sqlite.

 From my pov sqlite just seemed interesting, as it has a well known
syntax and the ability to embedd a transparent logic layer. As there is
no effort to use sqlite (or sql) in the future , I just burried that path.

As for compability I would strongly suggest to stay where Microsoft left
off, before killing the "UNIX Attributes" tab in Windows10 RSAT.
CN=samdom,CN=ypservers,CN=ypServ30,CN=RpcServices,CN=System
msSFU30MaxGidNumber
msSFU30MaxUidNumber
msSFU30OrderNumber

I understand the disire too keep things as compatible as possible, but
on the other hand open source software usually offers way more flexibility.

in my head there are 2 solutions, which should be completly client
compatible and introduce no behavioral change:

 1. interval poll all class=user objects where uid=NULL, get values from
    above mentioned entries, compose an update transaction (thats the
    "Just write a powershell script" variant)
 2. same as 1, just with some sort of trigger (or better filtered
    subscriptions) for external scripts in samba

What I also have in mind with this architecture would be something like
password tokens, but keep in mind this is just a thought.

The password passed on to ldap auth could be, if the user has an
attriblue like "requreToken", stripped of like the last 6 chars, which
represent the token. The password is matched against the hased password
in the ldap user entry, the token is processed in an external app, if
both are a success, login is fine. This propably would require kerberos
tickets, as the password is constantly changing, but would introduce a
lot of flexibility, for those who dare.

In terms of internal scripting, is there already anything in samba?