[Samba] A few questions and propostions on the samba architecture

Anton Engelhardt engelhardt.anton at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 07:36:14 UTC 2018

Due to a few problems I encountered I had a tiny look at the samba code
and gut a few questions, statements and propositions. Please by all
means, correct me if I got something wrong.

 1. besides filestore for shares and config files samba uses ldb as an
    exclusive storage backend
     1. LDB supports TDB, LDAP and SQLITE3 backend
     2. Samba hard codes to TDB files like "sam.ldb"
 2. ldap does not support any server side actions
     1. Not possible to implement "on create class user
        uidNumber=get_next_free_uid()"
     2. Only possible to define required/optional attributes
     3. ldap service is provided trough ldb-ldap -> tdb

I don't know if it is a good idea, but when using something like sqlite3
it would be possible to use "CREATE TRIGGER", to perform some automation
magic on server side, like giving out uidNumber and gidNumber.

Or even use "CREATE VIEW" with "CREATE TRIGGER" to implement fancy stuff
like server side transparent password token validation.

Depending on my undarstanding of the current architecture and the state
of the ldb sqlite backend this would seem like the easiest approach,
correct me if I'm too far off.