[Samba] Distro and release recommended

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jul 12 14:56:28 UTC 2018

On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 11:44:47 -0300
Sergio Belkin <sebelk at gmail.com> wrote:

> El jue., 12 jul. 2018 a las 9:44, Rowland Penny via samba (<
> samba at lists.samba.org>) escribió:
>
> > On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 09:34:59 -0300
> > Sergio Belkin via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi community,
> > >
> > > I'd like to deploy a SAMBA4 as a Active Directory Domain
> > > Controller. It's for around 30 domain users and 60 hosts.
> > >
> > > AFAIK CentOS package does not support AD DC role,
> > >

> > > I thought in Debian, but the release available in their repo's is
> > > 4.5.x. So would you recommend:
> > >
> > > - Compiling from sources?
> > > - To use backports
> > > - Choose some other distro?
> > >
> > > So, in short, what distro and release do you recommend me?
> >
> > Debian Stretch
> > But use Louis Van Belle's repo:
> >
> > http://apt.van-belle.nl/
> >
> > The Packages also work with Devuan.
> >
> > Rowland
> >

> Are they ready for production?

Well, Louis uses them in production. He creates them for his own use in
his establishment/company and very graciously makes them available for
others to use. I don't know how many people use them, but I believe
they are quite popular. I am sure Louis would be more than willing to
enlighten you more on his packages, but he is on holiday (oops sorry,
vacation) at the moment.

Rowland