[Samba] Samba 4.3.11

john doe johndoe65534 at mail.com
Wed Jul 11 18:49:21 UTC 2018

> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 13:48:45 -0400
> rac8006 at aol.com wrote:
>

>>   I do not have any apple devices on my network.  I would like to
>> change the smb.conf defaults.  But WD in there infinite wisdom
>> modified the way samba is started up on reboot.  They don't use the
>> rc scripts.  They wrote there own utilities to start samba.  They use
>> programs called smbcom smbcmd smbcv etc.  They provide on
>> documentation on these programs.  After some testing I found that
>> smbcmd starts smbd processes.  But it also overwrites the smb.conf
>> file  with what is displayed below.  Even trying to set the loglevel
>>
>> is difficult.
>>
>> Thanks for you help.
>>

> Sorry, but this is what you get when you purchase something with a
> proprietary OS.
>  From a quick internet search it appears you may be able to replace the
> entire OS. This would allow you to do whatever you like, it would
> also ensure that there are no backdoors in the OS, it seems this may
> be very possible with the installed OS.
>
> If it is overwriting the smb.conf, then it is very probably using a
> template somewhere, if you can find this, you may be able to alter
> this instead.
>
> It would nice to know which version of Samba it is using, if it is
> version 3 or later, then they should be supplying the source code (I
> couldn't find it, but didn't search hard), if it is an earlier version,
> then it really shouldn't be connected to the internet.

I didn't follow the thread but you should consider:

https://community.wd.com/t/clean-os-debian-openmediavault-and-other-firmwares/93714

It's almost not possible to use WD stuff outside of the GUI.
If your device is supported spend your time using an alternative OS or
live with the GUI! :)

--
John Doe