[Samba] Samba 4.3.11

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jul 10 21:05:43 UTC 2018

On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 10:58:34 -0400
rac8006 via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> What condition would cause smbd to call quotactl every minute?  It
> also does a stat64 on each mount point in the mtab file.

Replying here because where you last posted wasn't the right place to
post.

[quote]
 I posted a question about samba 4.3.11.  I posted the strace of smbd.  Yes it was on a WD device.
But I quess I didn't say that it was a strace of smbd.  I also posted this question.

What condition would cause smbd to call quotactl every minute?  It also
does a stat64 on each mount point in the mtab file.
again I didn't say that it was smbd process.

I've found a few cases where different versions of samba seem to access the disk every minute.  Doing things
that make no sense.  My network other than having a folder mapped to a windows 10 PC nothing is
being accessed for hours on end.  Yet when you strace smbd it will show the trace data below.  I will
say that when smbd is started with the -D option it starts 3 processes.  During this time smbd is not accessing the disk.
But at some point in time a fourth smbd -D process starts up and that process is the one I did the strace on.
[/quote]

If another smbd process starts, it is because 'something' has contacted
your server.

Is this on  your western digital my cloud device ?

We need to see the smb.conf

Rowland