[Samba] Setting up new samba-ac-dc on Ubuntu 18.04 - KDC not FOUND

Robert Steinmetz AIA rob at steinmetznet.com
Sun Jul 8 16:54:28 UTC 2018

I have been running a small domain for years. I finally decided to move
the domain to ad. I am also upgrading the server from Ubuntu i6.04 LTS
to 18.04 LTS

I installed the new server on a new RAID array and loaded the Ubuntu
LAMP stack. I installed samba. I have gone through a few tutorials which
offer differing recommendation on some things. All were based on either
Debian or Ubuntu.

I seem to have successfully provisioned the DC but I cannot contact the
kerberos KDC
The /etc/krb5.conf contains:
> {libdefaults]
>         default_realm = ORLEANS.STEINMETZNET.COM
>         dns_lookup_realm = false
>         dns_lookup_kdc = true
kinit returns server not found.
> $ kinit administrator at ORLEANS.STEINMETZNET.COM
> kinit: Cannot find KDC for realm "ORLEANS.STEINMETZNET.COM" while
> getting initial credentials
Some of the other suggested test seem to work but give somewhat
different results than the examples, particularly the smbclient tests.

I've searched around the net for a solution but haven't come up with one
yet.
Can I simply remove the Samba database files and re-provision the DC?