[Samba] NT_STATUS_NO_MEMORY accessing a DC shared resource

Ing. Claudio Nicora claudio.nicora at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 13:29:01 UTC 2018

> Your glasses (or lack of) ;-)
I usually agree, but in this case I've seen that warning and voluntarily
ignored it because it worked for 2 days...
I thought I was lucky ;-)

> Or to put it another way, you must set the permissions from Windows
>
> This is one of the problems/features of using a DC as a fileserver.
>
> Remove everything after the 'read only = No' line and read this:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_Share_Using_Windows_ACLs
>
> Rowland
I've changed smb.conf as suggested, then changed permissions from Linux
(Windows Explorer gave access denied when enumerating object content):

# setfacl -m "default:group:SAMDOM:rwx" /
# setfacl -m "group:SAMDOM\Domain Admins:rwx" /
# ... restricted access at minimum ...
# setfacl -m "default:other::" /
# setfacl -m "other::" /

Now the share works and I can edit/copy/delete files without issues.

There's a last thing I'd like to fix:
when I create a new file, it got created with these permissions:

-----
# ls -l
-rwxrwx---+   1 3000000 users     0 Jul  5 15:11 'New text document.txt'*
-----

Is there a way to force it being created with root:root as owner and
possibly with more strict permissions (I'm scared I'll forgot the
permission issue in the near future)?

Rowland, thanks for your help and patience ;-)