[Samba] client @0x7f6ed800bc20 172.16.5.86#62582: update 'campus.company.intra/IN' denied

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jul 3 14:02:13 UTC 2018

On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 10:37:29 -0300
Elias Pereira via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> > auth-nxdomain yes;    # conform to RFC1035 =no
>

> Why do you use this variable as "yes"? :)

To be honest, I cannot remember just why I set it, I can just tell you
that I have used it that way for nearly six years now, but if you
insist in knowing, I will search my old notes to find the reason.

> Note the lack of './daemon.log.1:33430:'. I have '/var/log/deamon.log'
> > and it contains lines in the format above, they all start with the
> > date.
>

> I used a grep

NEVER grep for lines in a logfile, you break the context.

> to find the lines with "denied" and posted. If I get
> the logs directly from syslog, it usually appears with the date at
> startup.
>
> Jul  3 10:07:45 dc3 named[31128]: client @0x7fd9a0059800
> 172.16.4.252#51989: update 'campus.company.intra/IN' denied
> Jul  3 10:07:45 dc3 named[31128]: client @0x7fd9a0059800
> 10.10.4.119#63432: update 'campus.company.intra/IN' denied
> Jul  3 10:07:45 dc3 named[31128]: client @0x7fd9a0059800
> 172.16.4.252#62280: update 'campus.company.intra/IN' denied
> Jul  3 10:07:52 dc3 named[31128]: client @0x7fd9a4070a90
> 10.10.4.50#58891: update

Is the above block in syslog as posted, or is it another 'grep' block.
If the lines are not together, please post all the lines around them.

> The lines show that various clients are being denied updating a
> record,
> > this may be perfectly okay, they may not own the record. Do you have
> > anything else updating the records, DHCP for instance. If so, the
> > problem does not lie on the DC, it lies on the clients and they
> > need to be told to stop trying to update their own records.
>

> Our dchp is a pfsense and the settings are basic.

If your pfsense thing is just providing dhcp info to clients and they
are supposed to update their own records, then it isn't a dhcp problem.

Rowland