[Samba] Samba 4.8.2 setting ntlm auth to mschapv2-and-ntlmv2-only is returning error

Matt Fippard matt.fippard+samba at nakedwines.com
Tue Jul 3 10:56:13 UTC 2018

​Hello,
I compiled Samba 4.8.2 from the git repository to upgrade my existing samba
install, however I'm not sure it has gone correctly and I am having a
problem authorizing radius clients that previously succeeded using mschapv2

I set the option in smb.conf
ntlm auth = mschapv2-and-ntlmv2-only
but running testparm gives me an error
set_variable_helper(mschapv2-and-ntlmv2-only): value is not boolean!
And also removing the variable and running testparm -v shows the default
value of ntlm auth = yes which I'm sure is wrong.
This makes me think that although everything is reporting the correct
version, something happened to make this only a partial upgrade.
I'm not really too sure on how to proceed now, my users and machines are
working happily with authentication, this is only affecting my radius server
Any help in troubleshooting this further will be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Matt​