[Samba] Adding Share Windows ACL

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Jan 26 09:50:48 UTC 2018

I dont agree..
> Yes, Domain Admins needs to be a Unix group.
I agree on this one.

> No, because if Domain Admins is a Unix group, it cannot own GPOs in
> sysvol and Domain Admins needs to own GPOs as a user. On a Samba DC,
> Domain Admins is mapped to 'ID_TYPE_BOTH' and can own GPOs as a user.
Not totaly..  Imo.

Just set ignore systemacls on sysvol and you dont have any trouble with
setting a gid on "domain admins" or domain guest, domain users, domain computers.
This is why i have Sysvol, users, profiles and deploy shares, all set with ignore systemacl.
All just due to the better matching for windows, and think mostly in gpo, deployments, things like that.
It solves the problem of ID_TYPE_BOTH., which also solve the for "system".

But thats just my opinion, i suggest, you try it, and is this a good "work around" for now, i think so.
When ID_TYPE_BOTH matches by default better, that we could remove the ignore settting,
but for now i do advice it to use it on some places, depending on the need.

Only one BEWARE !!
If you change to ignore systemacls, you MUST RE-APPPLY ALL SHARE AND SECURITY SETTINGS AGAIN!
And for sysvol, set it and forget it, dont run samba-tool sysvolreset !

Greetz,

Louis