[Samba] DNS issues after upgrade

Anantha Raghava raghav at exzatechconsulting.com
Tue Jan 23 13:52:02 UTC 2018

Hello Rowland,

I simulated the environment in my test setup.

First installed Bind9 (9.9.4) from CentOS 7.3 repositories and then
installed Samba Version 4.6.5 from sources. All services started
normally. All configuration files are replaced with the one shared with
you, without making any changes you suggested.

Then upgraded to 4.7.1 as we tried in production setup. Compiled version
4.7.1 from sources and installed. I also did not make any changes to
conf files. Left them as they were without making any changes you
suggested. All services started normally and all services were running.
Replication was also perfect. No issues with DB as well.

Upgraded from 4.7.1 to 4.7.3 and finally to 4.7.4. No issues at all. All
services are working perfectly. No issues with DB as well.

Now it is really perplexing as to what really went wrong in the
production setup. The only difference between the production setup and
my test setup is my test setup is a VM whereas the production setup is
having 2 physical servers. CentOS version in production setup is 7.3 and
in test setup the CentOS version is 7.4. Barring these two, there is
really no difference.

Really wondering as to what really went wrong in the production setup
that broke all 4 servers and we had to revert back 4.6.5.

Any clues?

--

Thanks & Regards,

Anantha Raghava