[Samba] How many users could be part of a samba domain ?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jan 23 01:01:29 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-01-22 at 17:25 -0500, Denis Morejon via samba wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I want to know how many users and computers could be part of a samba
> based domain ?
>
> Even using more than one DCs.
>
> 2000 ? 4000 ?
>
> I wan to know how strong could be samba.

Those numbers are easily within the deployment sizes I've seen.

See the presentations at SambaXP 2017 form Indeed and Tranquil IT for
some real-world numbers.

My team at Catalyst are doing work to get us a 64-bit DB with space for
 200,000 seats in the next few releases thanks to some (large, needless
to say) customer requirements.

Currently Samba 4.7 is memory bound on LDAP connections, 4.6 was CPU
bound instead, 4.8 will allow a prefork model that will be a
combination of both.

Andrew Bartlett