[Samba] idmap limit?

Andreas Hauffe andreas.hauffe at tu-dresden.de
Fri Jan 19 11:40:00 UTC 2018

Hi,

yes, there are some things. But I have not found a nice complete
documentation.

One main point is the domain name as prefix of the username of the
parent domain, e.g. "DOM\user1", you have to use. I was not able to get
rid of it, as the client is member of the subdomain which is the
default. So you can't use the "default domain" option in smb.conf. The
backslash in the user name is a problem for some software, but other
signs can be also a problem for other software.

In krb5.conf you need a [realm] section, with rewrites (auth_to_local)
rule for the principal names to local user names. All is quite simple,
if you know the fact. Only with that you get kerberized services running.

On Debian 9 file server (member server of the domain) I was not able to
get NFS4 with Kerberos working until I changed from the default
rpc.svcgssd to gssproxy for the NFS service. The first was working for
subdomain user, but in case of parent domain user the rpc.svcgssd
process got to 100% CPU load and a soft lockup of the kernel. With
gsproxy and no other changes all is fine.

These few things took me a lot of time.

Andreas

mail : andreas.hauffe at tu-dresden.de
Website : http://tu-dresden.de/mw/ilr/lft